Monday 30 January 2017

1990's Japanese Financial Crisis Learning Journal 1

1990s Japanese Financial crisis

Shaun Balderson - Context.
Samiah Anderson - Diagnosis of the problem/cause.
Sarah Vowden - Solution/Policy
Richard Adomako - Solution/Policy
Trudy Akobeng - Solution/Policy
Katherine Whitaker- Recommendations/what can the rest of world learn from the crash/policies.

The team has organised two meetings as well as set up a facebook group and shared google docs folder to share ideas, notes and readings.

Shaun Balderson: - I have attended all meetings for the group project. My role is to research and provide the context section. It will cover the period running up to the crash, a brief paragraph of why the crash happened (something that will be covered in much greater detail by Samiah), before then discussing the crashes size and scale, where Japan's economy is post crash compared to pre-crash and the role of the Japanese financial crisis in the wider Asian/global financial crisis.
-       I have undertaken various readings surrounding the topic and am hoping to provide a written draft of my section in the coming week.
-       Additionally, I have purchased two books in order to aid our team. i) Japan's Financial Crisis and Its Parallels to U.S. Experience (Special Report) and ii) Japan's Financial Crisis: Institutional Rigidity and Reluctant Change (Princeton Paperbacks).


Richard Adomako
Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the group meeting although I was able to gain information about what was discussed. The group was broken up into specific focus sections with which I have been tasked with solution/policy recommendations for the Japan Crisis of 1990’s. From there my research topic will be looking at the successful policies employed by the Australian government during the same time period and over the same type of financial crisis. Specifically, that is looking at how the ‘liquidity trap’ occurred in the Japanese/Australian economies and what policies allowed the Australians to thrive whilst Japanese continued to strive.

Samiah Anderson:
My role in this report project is to build upon the context/background of the report to create a diagnosis of the significant causes of Japan’s 1990s Financial Crisis. I have begun initial research and reading around the role of interest rates for Japan’s Financial Crisis.
 I have set up a Facebook group after the group’s initial meeting to keep communications in the group as effective as possible.
In addition: I am proud to report that I have purchased 1) Keynote for Mac software onto my laptop and 2) Inforgraphics for Keynote, which I plan to use once Shaun, has completed the background/context section. Essentially, I hope work with everyone to create infographics to present and visualize empirical data presented in each main section of the report. I have no doubt that the presentation of our report is going to look rather spiffy.

Katherine Whitaker:
Over the last two weeks I have been doing broad research of the period of Japanese financial crisis known as the ‘Lost Decade’. We are all doing research as a group but also each of us have taken on different tasks in order to fully understand the crisis, as a solid knowledge of the context, causes of and responses to the Japanese financial crisis is necessary in order to come up with recommendations as to how to avoid repeating the mistakes that were made. After Shaun has provided the context, and Samiah has diagnosed the problems, Richard, Sarah and Trudy will look at three solutions that were taken and their results. Once we have this knowledge, I will then be able concentrate my research to come up with policy recommendations for the future of banking, and to suggest what the rest of the world can learn from the events surrounding the ‘Lost Decade’.

Sarah Vowden:
Over the first few weeks of the project, I have been generally reading about the Japanese crisis in order to gain an understanding of the context in which the crisis has happened and the Government responses that were taken as an attempt at reinvigorating the Japanese Economy. This has been through the use of various sources such as articles and documentaries. Once Shaun and Samiah have structured the context and Diagnosis of the problem, then we can have discussions around the policy recommendations that we would like to make, to which will involve expanding my reading to look in detail at a particular solution. In the next few weeks I will focus my research towards these aims and also look through other policy reports to understand the most appropriate ways to write policy recommendations.

Trudy Akobeng:
In our first meeting the group decided to present a policy report on the 1990's Japanese financial crisis. We agreed to familiarise ourselves with the crisis and think about what section of the policy report we would most like to focus on. In our second meeting we allocated a person per section: myself, along with Richard and Sarah are going to research what policies were implemented at the time. Before the next meeting I plan to have a specific policy that I want to focus on in our policy report.







No comments:

Post a Comment